Fixing damage to the body of your auto is a repair that can be done at home or in a professional body shop. Body Auto Repair shops fix thousand of dents every day, from the large ones that prevent the vehicle from being used properly, to small ones that take only a few minutes for a professional. First, let us look at doing the job yourself.
It is not hard to justify an expensive professional repair with severe body damage to your car. However, small dents in your car can be fixed at home if you have the right tools and knowledge. To do the repair, body filler, also known as Bondo, is the best and easiest choice. The key to any auto repair is to take your time – if you do that, the body of your vehicle will look like new again. To do the Body Auto Repair yourself, you will need wet/dry sandpaper, some Bondo, putty to glaze with, plastic spreaders, and primer.
(1) Start by sanding the paint down until you see bare metal. This is necessary for the Bondo to stick. Sand a little further out than the actual size of the dent.
(2) The Bondo should come with a hardening agent that you mix once the surface of the Body is sanded. This hardener will set quickly, so once it’s mixed, get to work laying it on the damaged area.
(3) When the Bondo has set, sand the area smooth and fill in any divots you might have missed. This can be done with glaze putty and a plastic spreader.
(4) Sand the puttied area smooth, and begin priming the area. Make sure to tape off a large area to avoid spilling over or repainting your car.
(5) Primer needs to be wet-sanded once it is dry. This can be done with a bottle of filtered water and the same fine sandpaper.
Body Auto Repair does not have to be hard, but the larger repairs are best left to a professional shop. As for that last step, the painting, getting it done by a pro will ensure your hard work does not go to waste.
Choosing a shop for your Repair is an important decision. A bad repair can leave your car looking damaged, causing its value to go down. The worst case scenario is that the repair will have to be redone. Have a list of shops before they are needed, and make sure they use the latest equipment, and warranty their work.